Geneticist Alexander Kolyada: Biological limit of human life is now 120 years
Geneticist Alexander Kolyada: “Biological limit of human life is now 120 years” Comments: 0
Geneticist Alexander Kolyada: “Biological limit of human life, is now 120 years”
Host of the “Experiments” he explained to us how many people will live in the future and whether the stem cells to be a modern elixir of youth.
31-year-old Alexander Kolyada – a staunch supporter of a healthy lifestyle, so science deals with the age of 16. The desire of the scientist-genetics to popularize science was so great that fate told him to become a leading social-psychological project of STB. Together we tried to find answers to the important questions.
“A large concentration of grilled meat, smoked products, even dairy products can affect mutations” “Love, you can calculate”
– Alexander, what experiment in the project was shocked by you personally?
Experiment, when a girl in the middle white day dragged by force into a car and somewhere to take really revealing. We observed the reaction of people at the bus stop, they will help or not. And when I asked them why they behaved, spoke, either did not notice or looked the other way or step back from the situation to the maximum.
Is as the proverb says: “My business”…
– Ukrainians are quite unexplored, so competent to say, what are we, the Ukrainians, no one can. Every nation has a group of people whose “business” each have their own heroes, each of us has thoughts that what is happening does not concern us. Although in most cases, people at us sympathetic and kinder than I first thought.
– What more affects the formation of human – genes or society?
The world around is harder than it seems at first glance. If you ask a man why he became a lawyer or a broadcaster, he will say one reason, but actually there are many more. Therefore, our formation is affected by genetics and the world, our freedom of choice, if it exists.
In the framework of the project “Experiments” viewers see the relationship “the perfect pair”. Pair chosen by the science, immediately collapsed, unlike the one that formed in his heart. What love do you believe – the scientific “heart”?
– This experiment shows that indeed can not be forced and what is easier out of 10 people to pick out the one you want than doing it by calculations. In short, love at first sight practically non-existent. It exists for groups of people who are willing to fall in love with anyone. Love is a purely physiological process, it can be calculated quite accurately. It is possible to fall in love in the calculation, it is possible to fall out of the calculation. Understanding the material basis of all that is happening, you no longer much to romanticize the relationship. Hormones come and go and you stay, other people still there. “Ukrainians on the genetic map, between Russia and Poland”
– If to speak about genetics, you can debunk some well-known myths related to genes?
The most popular myth about the harm of GMOs. GMO is not harmful.
In second place is the myth of a gene for intelligence, for example, the gene for the ability to play the violin… This also does not exist. There are genes that predispose to this, but how you can become a great violinist, so may not be. It depends on the conditions and environment.
The third myth associated with heredity. For example: baldness is passed through the female line; talents are manifested through the generation; a daughter, so intelligence is inherited on the father… All the myths. All complex features are inherited in a complex – 50% mother, 50% from the father. Do not think that in your family some of the characteristics passed through the female line, and some paternal. Yes, this is possible, but it happens much less frequently than the average from the two parents.
It’s not a secret that people was the result of evolution, so, in fact, the whole background of our history written in our DNA. From any part of the body (hair, saliva, blood) to isolate DNA and see who were your ancestors.
– What can you say about Ukrainians? Who are our ancestors? Maybe the Ukrainians possessed by a special gene?
– It is also a myth. Ukrainians on the genetic map are exactly where they are on the map political or geographical – between Russia and Poland. We are all equally spread out. Eastern Slavs – Eastern Slavs. The history of the Ukrainians from the point of view of genetics is very simple. East Slavs came to our territory and assimilated those tribes that lived there (Scythians, Sarmatians). We are 80% descendants of this compound. There are no surprises there. We are not from Mars, not from Egypt, we are not the progenitors of all the peoples of the world. All academic history books it’s all laid out. “Centenarians have special genes”
– You have studied the question of longevity? What you need to live up to 200 years?
– No one really knows. But there is a biological limit of human life, now he is 120 years old. This means that there are people who have lived so much. 122 years is a human record, been documented. All the rest is myths. We have every reason to believe that if one lived to 122, then everyone can. And the further the numbers are already dependent on the development of science. Partly it depends on lifestyle, partly from genetics. A healthy lifestyle can extend life by about 20 years. Centenarians, of course, have special genes. It is very difficult to be a survivor, that is, live more than 100 years, just by eating a lot of broccoli and running in the morning. A combination of successfully collected genes with good living conditions and way of life can give people longevity.
– There is an opinion: why would a man immortality or prolonged life, because the planet is so overpopulated, we don’t have enough resources, we will begin to starve and so on.
– This is another myth. The population is growing constantly, people always have a place to live. We live in the city, and we think that all a lot. But we have fields, steppes, forests. All find a place. Moreover, the overpopulation is not linked to life expectancy. There are mathematical calculations that show it. It is concerned only with the multiplication factor – that is, the number of children born in the family. The fact that people will live longer does not mean that the Earth will be overpopulated. It all depends on how many children they will leave behind. Longevity is not for everyone. Similarly, like children are not for everyone. You before you have a baby, make the decision, weigh their options, your age, family status and material. Similarly people should do in the approach to longevity. If you have nothing to do here, and you will not work to prolong life. It is expensive, difficult to do every day. Longevity for those who live here are interested and have something to do.
– As far as bad habits or environmental problems affect the transmission of “broken” genes to our descendants?
– Little effect. Bad habits a little more, the environment a little less. Damage (mutation of genes) occur always. Has the gene, he’s got some consistency, and it is modified. These changes are often for the worse. They seldom occur and depend on many factors. First, from what we eat. For example, a large concentration of grilled meat, smoked products, even dairy products can affect mutation. Some of these genes may be transmitted to offspring. But if you try to write off failures of your children that you used to eat herring, then it’s a bad idea. Failure of your children, most likely, is your “protege” as parents.
Place mutations are. Environment affects them, but this influence is much less than random factors that are impossible to predict.
You see, the water is not so dirty, the air – too. People try health problems attributed to the environment, they say, the exhaust fumes are killing me. Killing the wrong mode of the day, poor diet.
– What are the main causes of the aging modern man?
– Two theories. One says that a person begins to age from the moment of birth or conception. The second is that 35 years. Who is right? Unknown.
The cause of human aging is a programmed process. Nature had aging to generational change. It is not God’s punishment, it is a natural course of things. Now we’re like, we’re trying to fix it in all possible ways. But nature has put in us a large number of pads of hooks, which is the aging launch. For example, overeating, lack of exercise, exhausting work, some psychological factors (dissatisfaction with life), a great deal of stress – all this boosts the aging process. The root cause of aging is not. Aging is a complex process. And different people age differently and in different ways.
– One way to rejuvenate consider the use of stem cells. They really are life-giving?
Is a promising developing field. There is some experimental work, using stem cells and they helped to get rid of a number of pathologies. Or, for example, if the burn healed within three weeks, then using stem cells for a week. Diseases that would have completely cured the stem cells, is very small. In terms of rejuvenating stem cells are not a panacea and are not even in the top funds. They can’t do this. The body more, and young stem cells are less. So I hope what we introduce them in the body and thereby influence the state of old age, very little. That was the effect, you have a lot of stem cells. By the way, the stem cells, getting into the old body, also begin to grow old. Therefore, stem cells are still in the experimental stage. Related Posts